The Roleplay Zone
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Roleplay Zone

For the Roleplayer in everyone since 2009!

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Review:Green Day-21st Century Breakdown

Go down 
AuthorMessage
JZilla
Master of Metal
Master of Metal
JZilla

Review:Green Day-21st Century Breakdown Empty
PostReview:Green Day-21st Century Breakdown

Hi guys

So today I'm here to review a Green Day album. It's their newest one, 21st Century Breakdown. So, Green Day are a punk rock band that's been around since the early 90s. They reached their peak with their album Dookie, and regained popularity with their 2004 album American Idiot.

Now I do have to talk a little about American Idiot. American Idiot is an album that shouldn't have worked. Green Day was a band in their 30s trying to create a punk rock concept album. It should have been a trainwreck. But, to the shock of everyone, it worked, and the album was a huge success musically and commercially. So the question was, could 21st Century Breakdown duplicate that success?

Now 21stCB is bigger and more ambitious than American Idiot was, there's ally more going on, not to mention there's a whole lot of songs on this thing. It's a long album. The problem though is for the length, there's not enough going on. The songs never really....progress. You've heard all of the riffs before, they're basically recycled from American Idiot. So they're not really complicated, they're just there, giving somewhat of a groove but not offering much else. The bass is doubling the guitars, so not much going on there.

The vocals sound...just meh. They don't nearly sound as good as the ones from American Idiot. They're higher and occasionally distorted. Definantly one of the weakest points of this album. Drums aren't really all that good either. They do a little bit but it's nothing spectacular.

Even though this thing has alot of weaknesses, it does have it's strong points. The choruses on some of the songs are pretty catchy. Also, though the riffs are recycled, they are somewhat memorable.

Pros:Catchy choruses
Riffs are somewhat memorable.....

Cons:.....but recycled
Album runs on for too long
Vocals aren't good

So all in all this thing is fantastically, epically, gorgeously, average. It's ambitious, but it runs on too long and is bogged down by bad vocals and a ridiculous concept. Green Day better get back to what they do best, actual punk-rock, or they are well on their way to becoming irrelevant. 4/10

So thats it. Until next time...

Jzilla \m/
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheAutumnDescent
Share this post on: reddit

Review:Green Day-21st Century Breakdown :: Comments

Shadow Kitten
Re: Review:Green Day-21st Century Breakdown
Post Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:30 pm by Shadow Kitten
\omo/
JZilla
Re: Review:Green Day-21st Century Breakdown